A Second Reply to Adele

Adele, it turns out, is a regular reader of our blog.

On her Facebook page she write:

Editing the privacy to Public because why tf not. I'm under no obligation to be friends on FB with anyone. If I want something Public, I'll happily make it public. If I want to be stabbed in the back, apparently just make something friends only.
Happy birthday to me! You know when you post something only for "Friends" and the miscreant who has been harassing you for months and is blocked somehow gets a hold of it?
Yeah, that's why I have trust issues.
To the "friend" that is sharing this information, tell this to the weasels that you are letting invade the Toad Hall that is my life: I survived rape. I survived Christendom. You have no power over me. You won't get me to back down. You won't get me to quit. The voiceless deserve a voice, and you only seek to silence them and appease those who poured salt in their wounds. I didn't let my rapist drive me out of school. I won't let you drive me out either.
Happy birthday to me!

First, you asked your friends to share your previous post with us: “Screencap and send this along to them.” It’s a bit harsh to blame someone for sharing something you invited them to share.

Second, this blog is new. I don’t know what you are talking about by saying we have been harassing you for months. Maybe you have confused us with some other lovers of truth and justice. And responding to public positions taken in a public forum isn’t harassment. You have made yourself a public advocate; part of the territory is dealing with people publicly disagreeing with you.

Third, we aren’t trying to silence you or anyone else. It is odd to say that we, who reproduced your exact words on our forum, are silencing you. We are actually increasing the number of people who have read what you wrote.

Fourth, also: The combox is open. Unlike CASC’s most vocal supporters and members, we aren’t in the habit of censoring comments we disagree with or that we find inconvenient. We have so far deleted exactly one post, and that was one that insulted you.

Fifth, you still haven’t actually addressed any of the points that we made. We've asked you previously to correct us if you believe anything we have written is an error. We have published carefully thought-out pieces with carefully formed arguments, but the only response we have gotten has been name-calling and shaming.

In our piece on Donna we observed that,

these posts are--as one comes to expect from CASC and its allies--heavy on conclusions, moral outrage, and self-righteous virtue-signaling, while being conspicuously light on the verifiable facts necessary to sustain them

The responses to this blog from you and your supporters have borne out this observation in a way even more obvious than we had expected.

No one has actually questioned anything that we have said. The only response has been no more than a deluge of moral outrage and virtue-signaling.

Just calling us Pharisees or liars or saying that we have a cult-like devotion to Christendom or that we have atrophied consciences begs the question: What have we written that we should be ashamed of? And, more importantly, why should we be ashamed of it? What have we said that is a lie? We repeat our plea:
if you believe what we have said is untrue please--we ask this sincerely--let us know. We will be the first to retract an error.
What does it say about the strength of your position that as soon as someone challenges it, you and your supporters’ only response is name calling and shaming? No one has indicated even a single assertion that they disagree with (let alone has anyone tried to defend an alternative).

Comments

Popular Posts